Friday 1/12

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Friday 1/12

Postby dmonn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 am

Looks like some good wind today. I'll be out by 3, and on a lake somewhere by 3:30. A north wind at Pike would be good. Mud Lake too. At this point the ice condition at Mud is an unknown, but at Pike it should be good at the north end of the lake. Unless vehicles and snowmobiles messed up the ice surface at the north end of Pike, it has probably refrozen pretty well. At Mud Lake it's probably pristine, since vehicles are not allowed and I haven't been there to track it up. I'm leaning toward Mud, but would like some company because it's so remote. Especially since I won't get there until close to sunset. Anybody want to join me to check it out?

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Re: Friday 1/12

Postby dmonn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 am

I wound up at Pike yesterday. Wow! The ice was crazy smooth over most of the lake. No snow anywhere. Almost smooth enough for hockey skates. Just enough disturbed ice to make it not a great idea for skates. The ice was also unbelievably hard! Usually when I put in an ice screw it just goes right in. Yesterday it was hard to get the screw started, and as it went in the ice kept spalling--breaking off in big flakes, and not just getting ground up inside the ice screw.

When I started riding I got in some nice speed runs. Nothing spectacular (35), but fun. Then the wind backed off a little, and I had trouble staying upwind and on my feet. The edges on my switchblade had gotten so dull it wouldn't grip the hard ice anymore. Every time I dove the kite to pull myself up onto the snowboard I just slid downwind. The kite dropped onto the ice several times, and I finally slid close enough to shore that there was very little wind and I couldn't relaunch the kite. All I could do was slide on my butt downwind to shore. There was just a little snow on the downwind shoreline, and when the kite hit the snow it finally stopped. I think I slid on my butt about a quarter mile. The ice was just too smooth and hard that I couldn't keep from sliding. It was actually kind of fun, except for the long walk back upwind carrying the kite and board on slippery ice!

Based on what Pike was like, I'll bet you could skate on Mud Lake. Not much wind in the forecast for today, but if I get the chance I'll run up there with skates and check it out. Skating on smooth, natural ice is really fun. Not like going around in circles on a rink.

JV, it looks like you might get your wish for a little snow cover on Sunday night/Monday.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am

Yes, looks like maybe a few inches through Monday, very welcome indeed.

Sorry I didn't offer to join you Don, working with purpose to get some shoreline work done on my island this week as conditions good for that. I'm still a little tired of kiting on ice, I cannot seem to find the sharoener fir my switchblade, and since it is a beveled edge I do not want to use the wrong tool. It is so dull now given how much I used it so far late last year and this year that on hard ice it slides too easily to be useful. Going to look online for one today.

As for getting pulled toward shore, glad that turned out well for you. In previous years on two occasions I was in that situation and ended up with kite in tree. I worked both out without kite damage, but I am very careful about that. Once you loose traction near shore with trees and the kite becomes unpredictable in the vortex in front of tree, even if you pull the pin no telling where the kite will choose to travel but it can be ugly for kite!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:14 pm

I considered QR-ing the kite, but the downwind shoreline looked friendly (it was) and not all that far away. I was a little concerned that if I did that, I'd have less control of the kite. If the kite still had some pull but no control, I wasn't sure what would happen. I knew that if there was any pull left from the kite I couldn't stop sliding. It seemed better to deal with the situation as it was than risk an unknown just to save a little bit of a walk.

Bummer about your sharpener. I misplaced my ice screws last year. Didn't find them until this Fall. I replaced one of them last year, and then rigged that cheap disposable system using a big spike. This year the spike system won't work. I don't have a 2-ft extension for my auger bit! The ice is crazy thick. It could be 2 ft or more in some areas on Pike based on looking at some of the cracks in the ice.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Nobody has posted ice depth on Pike recently on Lake-Link, but most lakes in area more than 12 inches, some over 20.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Stafford » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Big Muskego has smooth-ish ice, but a lot of Cattail debris frozen into the surface. It was too windy as the temperature dropped to let the ice be truly smooth. A good, warmer snowfall would add some grip. Ice is at least a foot everywhere I've seen. Only portable ice fishing tents out, but plenty of four wheelers, motorcycles with spiked tires, and those side-by-side buggies out there.

- Stafford
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Snow -TONIGHT!!! Methinks 15m Chrono will get a good workout tomorrow!!! Ice on Little m is great, and lots of terrain if indeed we get the 6in NOAA indicating right now.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:07 am

Skates won't work on Mud Lake. Too much debris frozen into the surface. Sounds a lot like Big M. I ran into a guy who was trying out his new auger, and he said the ice was about 18 inches thick on Mud Lake, at least where there was 18 inches of water.

Somebody built a nice boardwalk across the marsh out to the water, along with a boat dock at the water. That could make it a nice place to kayak in the Spring before the weeds get too thick. It was a little slippery now with some ice on the boards. It was actually easier walking on the frozen mud on the other access path, but would be great when it's above freezing temps.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:21 am

Pewaukee lake is also thick. I noted a few places where there seem to have been about a 4 foot gap of broken ice, long channels where perhaps it heaved during the warmup. This looked very cloudy with 1x1 foot chucks refrozen. I was a little nervous riding over these but they look like they re-frooze solidly.

Surprisingly there were still vehicles driving on the ice this weekend. At this point just watch out for places that may have skimmed over and not re-frozen solidly. But the majority of the ice I've seen is still 12"+ thick. Looking forward to Wednesday - looks like some big wind coming :)

Pewaukee has very clean and flat surfaces. Very little debris and all the ice fisherman holes smoothed over and re-frooze nicely.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today