2018 Sturgeun Stampede

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

2018 Sturgeun Stampede

Postby jv. » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:30 am

Here is announcement for the WAK event Feb. 9 - 11. Always a good time even if snow does not cooperate, and I know they appreciate our support! If you have never been arounf Saturday evening, then you missed some great bonfires on the ice along with Don's outstanding firework display. I am told they have over 20 inches of ice, and we have some snow opportunities before the event.

http://www.wakkiteboarding.com
jv.
Kite Smurf

Re: 2018 Sturgeun Stampede

Postby jv. » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Reminder rhat this weekend is WAK event on windybago. Too bad they will not get snow forcasted for south end of state, but it will be a fun event none the less, I know they appreciate our support! I may kite here early Saturday before going up.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:43 pm

Tune-up before stampede today, two 15 mile sessions, best kiting conditions of year on little m. Good snow everywhere, so nice to not hear any sound (ice) under board! Another perfect day for 15m chrono! Tonight forcast 6+ more inches, with good wind tomorrow. I plan to kite here tomorrow & Sat morning before going to stampede because conditions rock! Then some kiting, fireworks, bonfire & drinking with good friends!
Last edited by jv. on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:49 pm

A few nice hours of kiting on little m this morning before wind fell. Was tempted to use 13m summit, but glad I used 15m chrono - powder is very deep, need a little more power to get on top of it and stay powered in it. We got 5+ inches last night on top of about same amount, but it seemed a lot deeper. Often found myself with board burried in powder that was up to my knees. A blast today, but much slower than yesterday. Expect event site for this weekend got up to 3 inches, should be fun weekend for big kites!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Got out on Pewaukee this morning. Best session all year. Wasn't fast at all but just enough wind to stay decently powered on my 14m Switchblade. Rarely ever use that big boy in the winter. Just as jv described. Easily 6-8" of dry powder on top of a firm base. Never when down to the ice, at times my entire skis were buried. Just gentle cruising at 10-15mph but steady and super soft. Was able to boost a couple good ones during a gust. Wind died off about noon. GPS froze, but probably got about 15 miles in, all in fresh POW!

Going to try to get out to the Stampede tomorrow or sunday, May take the kids and leave the kite at home depending on conditions. Hope to see a bunch of locals up there. Always fun.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Jeff, looks like I got about15 miles in, but my legs feel like it was twice that! Maybe just tired from yesterday, but that deep powder is work even if it is fun!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 am

Looks like we might get a little wind this afternoon. If it picks up enough, I'll ride at Pike. I won't make it up to the Stampede. Not enough free time today to make it worth the trip. Hope some of you made it up there and had a good time. I think if you made it there, you probably had a good time--wind or no wind.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Saturday no wind, no crowd, no fireworks & no bonfire. I did launch Chrono, but got tired of running around just to keep it in the air. However, nice dinner with Greg & Kathy, and Don, gave us a chance to plan meeting up in Maui next week. Stoked!

Sunday, At around 11 we had enough wind for me to launch Chrono and ride a brief 5 mile set while the race course was set up for distance race. I elected to skip race and work with Bonnie who kited 8m as wind improved after 12:00 ish race start. Let Big Joe use the Chrono and he used it to pull his son around a while as I worked with Bonnie. She had a good day, able to go upwind, and think Joe developed a taste for the Chrono. We had to leave at 2:00, but looked like maybe enough wind then for big air contest if distance race finishis on time. Great job by the WAK guys again!!!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby bigjoe » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Had a great time at the stampede!! Christopher finally flew the 2.5m trainer kite successfully, got to play with the Chrono (I need one!!) and jumped over 20ft in the big air competition, but I was robbed as the judges said it was only 8ft... what a fun day!
bigjoe
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 am

@bigjoe, I think the judges meant 8m!!!!! I saw it, it happened!!!
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today