July 8 - Sheboygan again?

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

July 8 - Sheboygan again?

Postby Stafford » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:31 am

The elements are lining up for Sheboygan to work again today....
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Re: July 8 - Sheboygan again?

Postby jramato1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:51 am

On my way up now
!
jramato1
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:53 pm

Looks like Sheboygan was cranking all day.

Tomorrow looks like too much west in the wind direction. I may try (swimmer's itch) Pike in the late morning, but I'll be watching Sheboygan just in case. Winnie is also a possibility.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby Stafford » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Lots of good steady wind today in 'boygan. 12m would have been best for boosting, but most rode 10-12m kites. I rode a 10m with a foil and twin tip but rather than size up, I decided to be goofy and rigged a 6m FX with a 60cm bar and 34m lines. It work for foiling and even on a twin tip. I was just in everyone's way near the shore because the lines were so long and I had to work the kite on the tt.

Ryan H. & Ericka were there with their children, nurse Ryan, and Jacob O. were our local representatives.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:31 am

Wow, it's impressive to see so many great days in July.

I was up north all week. Got a nice session in at Baileys Harbor and a beautiful session in at Ellison Bay. The latter was my highlight. Blowing 10-12 knots and was just enough for the 12m Switchblade and Hydrofoil.

For those familiar with Door County, I launched out of Ellison Bay Community Park and it was a steady NW. Rode the escarpments North to deaths door bluff. Totally awesome. Wind started to die on the return trip but I got within a few hundred feet of my original launch. Dumped the kite and self-rescued. Met a really nice local who gave me a ride back to the park.

BTW, this was all in board shorts. The water was super warm. Not even chilled after spending 10 minutes in the water getting to shore. Just gorgeous out there. I hate to jump on the hydrofoil bandwagon, but there is just no other way to go explore and free-ride. 100% worth the tough learning curve. Give yourself a season to learn, you won't regret it.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Powerman, glad your travels found good time on the water. Not so fortunate for my road trip from WI to FL to CA and back including many points in between. Started out ok with good session by space coast, but gulf coast was VERY hot with no wind. When I got to CA was hoping Crissy, Waddell and/or Scott would deliver - and indeed I showed up at Crissy with 6 kites and 4 boards along with 3 sails & 2 windsurf boards with 20-30 mph winds one morning only to find NOBODY on the water (no kites or windsurfers). Waited a couple hours and digested every online article or discussion I could find while I patiently waited for any locals to arrive. It was a weekday, but I've launched there before and know locals would show up when the conditions were good - it was mid flood tide and side off wind. After a couple hours I pulled the plug figuring the locals had a reason to pass, and joined the family at Pier 39, and of course eventually saw some kites in the channel late in the day. Shut out at Waddell and Scott as wind was sucking instead of blowing, so pretty dusappointed - but me being out of town certainly improved the wind for you. Sorry, but I am back... ;)
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Sorry to hear about your stop to kite at Crissy. You made the right call, though. Crissy is no place to kite (or windsurf) without others around. I remember windsurfing there decades ago and stopping to let a couple of 50 ft sailboats go by on either side of me while feeling a whole lot like a piece of shark bait. Crazy tidal current and some big wind-driven chop. Awesome place to ride when you're surrounded by locals who really know the spot. Very odd that none of the local were there. I wonder where they were?

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today