WISSA

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

WISSA

Postby jv. » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 pm

WISSA has been interesting so far. Late last week had snow on the ice and everything set up, only to have to take tents down Sunday due to rain and warmth. Ice was under water! However, tents back up Tuesday and ice relatively healthy, though no snow. Some foreign competitors arrived without their gear, so agreement made to postpone races until Wednesday when their gear arrived, using Tuesday for practice. Kevin, Don and I all donated some equipment for them to use in case gear further delayed. The ice rink in great shape, and even with relatively light wind the wings and sails got good short track practice. I took a kitewing out on open ice with skiis for a while, but did not put up a kite as there was no snow and my old back does not relish hard ice bouncing.

Tuesday night it snowed, and I was plesently surprised that I could kite with my 15m Chrono and a snowboard - used a switchblade but think I would have had even more fun without a switchblade attached. More than 10 fun miles for me during lunchtime. The kites raced morning and afternoon in relatively good conditions, and wings and sails raced in the afternoon until wind stopped just before dark. Unfortunately as I was helping with those races, did not get a chance to kite, wing, or sail after my lunchtime jaunt.

JR - did not see you, how is your racing going?
jv.
Kite Smurf

Re: WISSA

Postby jramato1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Was able to make morning races yesterday.

First time course racing, and alot of fun!

Thought I would have been more competitive, but there are some really strong competitors!

Had to work in afternoon and today but hope to get in more races tomorrow and saturday!
jramato1
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:31 pm

Back in town and likely heading up tomorrow morning. Anyone know what surface conditions are like after today?
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:22 pm

Big wind Friday at WISSA, too much for my snowboard as rain on Thursday turned all to ice and I did not bring switchblade along that day. Thanks Dalius for the hand, I was reminded why I hate snowboarding on ice! Big Joe did have his switchblade along and managed with a 12m kite! To put that in perspective, some were struggling with kites half that size.

We did not record speed for distance races, but looked to be well over 50mph. I helped run the radar speed runs after distance races, but by then then (mid afternoon) wind was coming down a bit though still fairly strong. Bob Cook and a Swiss kiter hit 47mph (Bob using an inflatable, the other had a foil), believe they tied for fastest. Fastest sail was just over 38 (Boris from Estonia), and fastest kitewing was just a little slower than that. Had this been on smooth ice and the wings used skates, believe they would have been a bit faster. We picked a course with clean wind and fairly smooth ice over an inch of frozen snow, but there were more bumps from tire tracks than I would have liked to endure at those speeds even with skiis! We allowed racers to try until wind settled down well after dark.

No wind today (Saturday), so no races but believe all pretty happy with conditions and event.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today