Week of 1/24

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Week of 1/24

Postby dmonn » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:57 am

I'm looking at Tuesday being a good possibility for kiting. NE wind, so a lot of our favorite inland places don't work very well. Mud Lake in the Cedarburg Bog works really well on a NE wind. If you want more info about it and/or want to join me, post up.

Monday afternoon could also work there, but the additional snow we might get on Monday/Tuesday morning might make it better on Tuesday than Monday.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Re: Week of 1/24

Postby Steve271 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:42 am

Anyone know if veterans park work in NE, or if there’s enough snow there yet?
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby dmonn » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:47 am

Dunno what's there now, but tonight and tomorrow morning it should get better snow than we will farther north.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 pm

I am considering a sesh in the water this afternoon at SSYC.
BritishBlokeRyan
King of the Clam Bake

Postby jv. » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:09 pm

BBR, I do not know snow conditions at Lakeshore right now, but have snowkited Veterans Park many times over the years with winds with east in the mix. Some N/S variations are better than others (due to trees) and rather short reaches, but it can be a good time. Lakeshore State park is more open and can work too. Years ago I used a great spot just north of St. Francis HS in Cudahy along the lake above the bluff (Google The Mariner in Google Maps), worked great NE, but think they may have since built a building there as I know there was a plan to do so, though it was open last time satellite images were updated a couple years ago.

Bonnie and I are going to enjoy our back yard, again not optimal wind direction, but beggers cannot be choosers. Looks to be a good week in any event!! Bring on the snow!!! Pretty much the whole lake should be in play, though I still have been avoiding middle south as that was the last to freeze.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:28 pm

I'm seeing an air temp at SSYC (essentially) at 27 degrees right now. Too cold for me to feel safe about playing in the water. I'll head for Mud Lake in a few minutes. The wind is up.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Mud Lake was fun. The wind was pretty good for a 12m kite while I was there. The ice had very few lumps and bumps, and the snow cover was 100 percent. It was really nice being able to ride without needing to look for ice fishing volcanoes or ruts and lumps from vehicles. Pristine snow. Love it. The snow tonight should make it even better tomorrow.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby Stafford » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:50 pm

I had a decent session on the big swamp with a Naish wing this afternoon on skis. I'm hoping tomorrow will be even half of what is forecast.

I agree with JV that it is too cold for the water and that Lakeshore State Park (the man-made peninsula across from Summerfest) likely will be good, so will Veteran's park. Another option is the new Lake Vista park in South Milwaukee. I've snowkited there before and it is ideal on NE when there is enough snow cover.
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:53 pm

My back yard had its moments, but the coming snow will help. Snow a bit thin still on about 30% of the ice, but when the snowboard hits those spots in a gust traction is impossible. Forced to switch back to switchblade, but tomorrow I will be able to put that tool away fir a while. Bonnie had her best day with wing yet, though in one spill a ski did not break lose and she is limping around tonight. My fault, do not always keep skiis tweeked since I prefer snowboards.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Steve271 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:49 am

Given the likely N wind late afternoon- possibly even NNW- any thoughts on where might work?
I’m guessing veterans park is now off the list
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby PowerManJ316 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:52 am

Hi Steve-
It looks like wind is much smaller inland right now, but as the storm subsides this afternoon I think lakeside winds are supposed to drop pretty rapidly.

I am going to try to get out this afternoon - but will need to see the conditions when I leave. N/NNW is perfect for Winnebago but I'm not likely to make that drive today. It also works very well for Madison. Locally it's ok for Big M and Pike.

If there is any east at all I will do down to verterans park.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:38 am

Due north or even NNE works well for both Pike and Mud Lake. NNW also works for both. If it's N or NNE at Pike you may need to walk out onto the ice for a bit if you park at the State Park. The other possibility at Pike is to launch from Reef Point Resort (a bar) on the west side of the lake. (Google map it if you're interested). I don't know if people are driving out onto the ice yet, but that's where they would go to do that. If you're not going to drive out onto the lake (I wouldn't drive on it today), I wouldn't launch from Reef Point Resort because you'd have a wind shadow with a N or NNW wind direction. NNE would allow you to launch there by just walking out onto the ice a short distance. I may head for Pike today, but wouldn't get there until about 2 or 2:30. I'll launch from the State Park, even if I need to hike a bit. Snowshoes and a sled make the walk pretty easy.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby Steve271 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:42 am

Thx Both, Very helpful, I will watch for whether there is east or west in the wind & make the call between Big M & Veterans park at the last minute
(I won’t have the time to go further)
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:52 am

I was not able to make it out yesterday. Today, I am tempted between Veterans park on the snow or in the water at SSYC. I plan to get out there in the next hour or so, and I will post condition updates when I arrive.
BritishBlokeRyan
King of the Clam Bake

Postby jv. » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:14 pm

Wind forecast looks good until mid afternoon, but my wind meter is telling me wind is under performing. Will be in my back yard today, conditions will be great unless the wind dies.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Next

Return to Where To Ride Today