Jan 10-12

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.
jv.
Kite Smurf
antiSpamKiter: Kiter
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Jan 10-12

Post by jv. »

Well, NW wind Monday, SW wind Tuesday and west wind Wednesday with great ice in back yard, and of course options ranging from swamp to Windybago. Until we get some more snow, my plan is represrpented in one of my favorite old videos from 2008, great song, and a premonition of the fun we take for granted today… https://youtu.be/qH7PH9ktkLY
jv.
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Re: Jan 10-12

Post by jv. »

Some permanent ice shanties have begun to pop up in my back yard, but no shortage of space to play. Wind starting to pick up, heading out soon!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Two things.

First, some of the perfection of the ice is evolving as more cracks buckle. Still mostly perfectly smooth, but ya gotta watch for the imperfections. Right Stafford?

Second, I know it is technoque, but landing on ice just plain hurts if you have any speed or height. The guys in the video above make insane jumps and landings look so soft, but all my padding could not protect me from some nasty jolts today…. Maybe I will save jumping wing for the water after all.

But all together, this year shaping up rather nicely! South wind tomorrow!
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Post by PowerManJ316 »

Planning to do some riding tomorrow afternoon.

Southwest generally means Big M. Anyone else heading out? JV, you sticking around your back yard?
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Yes Jeff, working with wing with Bonnie and the ice too nice to pass up right now so staying in back yard. Hey, might get some snow Friday now…
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Heading out soon, SSW wind 15-20 right now, supposed to build to gusts over 30 later in the afternoon. Since we will mostly be on ice, don’t really need 30, so might not stay out quite as late today.

Jeff, you are welcome here of course, cold beer is handy - though I have stopped bringing it out on the ice in my equipment sled because it freezes before I get to it…. Short walk back to the house anyway. Today it will be easy to launch on frozen snow for traction, and then kite into the slicker ice. I find that easier than setting up on the slick ice in the heavy wind. That is the beauty of wing and skates - easy in/easy out. Having said that, really eager for some snow to kite in with snowboard, probably still my favorite winter activity! The season has been awesome so far!! Calculated last night 8.32 mile per day average since Jan 1, only one day without enough wind.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Nice to share the ice with Stafford and Powerman today, the 35mph gusts were a handful, but for the most part great day on the ice in back yard! Forecast for tomorrow looking a bit more disappointing, but this old man is wearing out a bit anyway!
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Post by PowerManJ316 »

Fun day on Little Muskego. Glare ice, super smooth. Strong wind was fun. Doesn't hurt to have a beer or two afterwards with JV and B.

May have hit 47mph too.
Stafford
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 1

Post by Stafford »

jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Stafford - NICE! Question I have is: Powerman was moving so fast on those skiis in that wind, how did you even catch him? ;)

Let’s try this, view from our living room window thanks to Bonnie.

https://www.facebook.com/1338822795/pos ... 770812131/
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Post by PowerManJ316 »

Love it.