Wednesday January 23

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Wednesday January 23

Postby Stafford » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 pm

I will get out on Big Muskego around 4 p.m. tomorrow. If the wind is light I'll ride a 13m Ozone Chrono V3. Ice should be more solid, but still don't trust it across the whole lake -- there can always be thin ice around. Someone fell through on Okatchee this weekend but got out on his own. He fell through within site of an ice shanty. I did that once too. Any grey, slushly looking spots are water.

- Stafford
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Re: Wednesday January 23

Postby jv. » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:07 am

Stafford, does this mean that you don't count on those angels lifting your kite to get you out like the guy on Pewaukee years ago? ;) I am determined to do terrain today.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Stafford » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:15 pm

J.V. post up what terrain you find that works on NW wind.

Thanks,
Stafford
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:12 pm

Stafford, for terrain:

Last fall I cut the grass on conservancy land I am acountable for late fall. The property is a former xmas tree farm on 40 acres immediately north of Calhoun Park on Calhoun Rd. On the east end toward middle of property is maybe 15 acres in the open along a hill, expect west to north wind range would work. Tried it in the first snow back in November, it worked but crappy as the grass was not cut short enough and there was not enough snow. Today I tried again, now snow up to my knees (Powerman, that is probably above your ankles...) in some places as snow has drifted. Tiring to walk to, probably too small of a snowboard or wrong wax, and area not really large enough it turns out. Kited an hour but only a couple miles total, kept having to jump just to get back on top of snow. Very hard going, did not enjoy.

So, I trudged out (now soaking wet from sweat), and headed to the former landfill between 5 and 6 Mile Rd on the east side of Hwy 45 just south of you. I had walked it before it snowed, big and rather smooth hill with promise from practically any wind direction given its height. Have tried a copule times now to find someone from Waste Management Metro Security Landfill to see if I might be able get permission to kite there, no luck so far. However, went there today to test it, but found no where to park as they do not plow the access road. I parked down the street a bit and walked to the property, and stopped to talk to a couple teenagers who were outside at the house across the street. Asked them if they ever walked or sledded there, but they said they have been told absolutely no tresspassing, though I see no signs. Stafford, this plsce is close to you, check it out. Believe it is big enough to support several kiters at once, with nice hill open in all directions above tree line. Would be great to get permission to use it, maybe lease it or something. It is not an active landfill site.

Got home too tired for another session on the lake, but tomorrow is more wind and virgin snow!!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Raphael.Delhaye » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi JV
where are you heading tomorrow ??

I'm in !!
Raphael.Delhaye
Chop Wrestler

Postby jv. » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 pm

North end little muskego lake, after 1pm or so. You can park at my house, end of Island Dr in Muskego, house with WindPower Windsurfing tailer and 5th wheel RV in driveway.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Raphael.Delhaye » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:31 pm

Awesome, I will be there at 1 pm then !

Thanks a lot !
Raphael.Delhaye
Chop Wrestler

Postby jv. » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 pm

The wind direction will be less than ideal for this lake, but will make the most of it. Would go to boxhorn with that wind direction, but my wife prefers to kite at home.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Raphael.Delhaye » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 pm

Big thanks to JV who showed me his homespot today and give me a taste of home with great beers from belgium !

Big Thanks !!

Raphael
Raphael.Delhaye
Chop Wrestler

Postby jv. » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Raphael, sorry for the crappy wind conditions, next week showing some promise though!!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today