Sept 3

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Sept 3

Postby jv. » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:34 am

Does not get much better than this, wind steady sw 15-25 on little m, little hat would be the same. Been out windsurfing already to scope things out, kiting and wing will both work today, hoping to finally get the wing with foil cooperating if the weeds don't interrupt. Good practice in any event.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Re: Sept 3

Postby jv. » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:27 pm

Wind was great, but did not last as long as advertised. Struggling more to foil the with wing than I do with kite, suspect my kit foul board too small and my Windsurf foil too big. Or, I just suck - but in the end you it is always a blast to work on new skills! If you are not yet aware of potential for foiling with a wing, checkout new YouTube video of wing surfing at Hookipa!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Stafford » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:09 pm

I did a lesson on Little Hat today and saw two kites launched at Boxhorn. At 1 p.m. the water was frothing and by 3 it was meh.
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:23 pm

I hit Pike yesterday about 3. The wind was really light, with a few puffs now and then. Hans (windsurfer friend in his 80s) said "It was blowing pretty good until just before you showed up". I talked to him for a while and it seemed like the wind was starting to pick up. I rigged my 17 and took both my TT and Sector 60 down to the shoreline. By the time I had the kite rigged, there was enough to ride. Easy angle for a launch from shallow water. I rode the Sector OK for about 20 minutes and then the wind started being goofy. Kite came down, relaunched kite, rode for 5 minutes, repeat 5 times. I gave up and headed in. Talked to a couple of catamaran sailors for a while, and the wind started picking up a lot. By the time I was ready to launch I grabbed the TT instead of the sector. Great time for about a half-hour, and then the wind started acting goofy again. I called it a day. When it was really up my 17 was a handful, but made for some fun jumps.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:06 pm

Couldn't get out until 5pm and it looks like things were pretty much done at that point.

Looking forward to Friday. Looks like a lot of options may be in play. SSYC or Atwater will be likely for this guy if forecast holds. Anyone know if Lake Michigan turned with the last storm? Is it still warm?
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:36 am

Powerman, I sure miss the NOAA OSF animations, wonder if they will ever be available again! Have to go dip my toe in the water now...
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby jramato1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Water cold 5/4 wetsuit

No boots needed yet
jramato1
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today