Wed 9/25

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Wed 9/25

Postby PowerManJ316 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 am

Lots of W west in the forecast. I'll be over doing some lessons this afternoon on Big M.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Re: Wed 9/25

Postby dmonn » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:51 am

This time of year can be pretty frustrating for us working folks. By the time I can get to the lake (Pike is closest, but Bradford isn't much farther) the wind is usually starting to die. That's what today's forecast looks like. Next year I'll be able to take advantage of a windy fall day during the week!

Yesterday was good at Pike, but only for a short time. By about 5:00 the wind had died (just when Jacob showed up). :cry:
The wind was mostly on the west side of the lake, but there were some gusts that would let you coast across the middle. By the time I headed back, there was almost nothing left for wind along the east side of the lake.

While I was riding on the west side of the lake I lost my board on a jump and crashed the kite when I landed. By the time I relaunched the kite my board was nowhere in sight (upwind was straight into the sun). I body dragged upwind forever but never saw my board. I never saw it pass downwind of me either. After about 10 minutes I tried to flag down a windsurfer to help me look, but he was riding on the east side of the lake and never saw me. A couple in a small fishing boat saw me waving and came over to investigate. They looked for my board for about 15 minutes before they found it a pretty good distance upwind of me. They had rented the boat from the bar on the west side of the lake. After I packed up I headed to the bar and talked to the bartender. I told her what the couple had done for me and put $20 toward their tab. I think I'd still be looking for my board if they hadn't helped. Nice folks. Pretty typical of the folks I've met at Pike.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:11 am

Don, glad to hear you will be joining us retirees soon, you will definately enjoy. However, even when retired seems calendars still tend to fill up, so though I was able to be on the water with Bonnie for a couple hours yesterday, not looking good for taking advantage of west wind today - Jeff, if I get on the water it will be at boxhorn, but not looking good.

Don, if you could resist jumping over the moon you would not have to spend so much time looking for your board... ;)
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:09 pm

At Boxhorn now, 12m probably optimal but leaking, going out 10m.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:27 pm

10m was perfect, 10 miles of solo joy! Jeff, sorry I couldn't wait for ya...
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:59 pm

Just missed you JV. I got out about 2:30pm. Did lessons so not much riding myself. By 5pm the wind shut off quite abruptly. Got a new toy though that I am waiting to try out. 2020 Naish Pivot. Loved my switchblades but they are not a hydrofoil kite. Real heavy in the light wind. Looking forward to trying this bad boy out. The recommended PSI is 10.5! I am curious if the higher pressure really leads to more performance...that's the rumor.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today