Saturday 19th Oct Racine

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Saturday 19th Oct Racine

Postby Steve271 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Hey guys,
I’m looking for flatter water riding options for Saturday in a southerly (not good enough for Sheboygan or Bradford beach breaks yet)
Been studying Google maps.
Question- Has anyone tried Racine on the South Side inside the breakwater below Samuel Myers park?
Might it work tomorrow? I’m sorely tempted to just drive down and try it

Any better options for a newer rider?

Steve
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Re: Saturday 19th Oct Racine

Postby Stafford » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:28 am

The Racine breakwall offers some protection from the waves, but not that much as the waves tend to curl and hug the breakwall. It's a little worse at the Milwaukee harbor breakwall though and launching from McKinely can be challenging because the gap is so small and you have to be able to get back to that exact spot.
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby Steve271 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:06 am

Thx Stafford
I did run down and check it out- I felt that the Southerly direction made the riding area too small due to lack of width and the small beach was almost directly onshore
I did feel that it could work with some more East in it, but it was also marginal today with 10-13mph.

I did also check out North beach and felt that although no good in today’s southerly, that it could offer a semi protected ride in a SE, with the harbor wall cutting on the main break- would you agree?
Steve
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Hey steve,

I rode at Bradford today from about 10am until 12:30pm. It was light to begin with - I set up my 15.5 fully powered with a big board and that was just enough to get going. But around 11am it really picked up and the big kite was plenty to get upwind and actually do a couple of small jumps over some waves too. By the end I had to depower as it was getting too strong. Surprisingly the waves weren’t huge today though (like they were when I rode on Tuesday), so I think you could have handled it. Literally no people on the beach either so easy exits - I lost my board about a 1/4 mile out at one point so had to body drag to the beach land my kite and then fish my board out of the water down wind. Good times though!
BritishBlokeRyan
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby dmonn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:49 am

I only had a few minutes to ride at Sheboygan yesterday. It seemed pretty light when I got there, and only two guys on twin tips. Two more on foils. One of the guys on a TT was on a 17 and seemed to be doing well. The other guy was on a 12 and walking back up the beach. I pumped up my 17, and got thoroughly spanked. The wind picked up about the time I launched, and I had only two choices for direction--as much upwind as possible, or straight downwind. Every time I started to head a little bit downwind from the upwind edge I immediately went out of control. The waves were running in nice sets, so I just went upwind for a while then rode the waves downwind. The transition from upwind to downwind needed to be quick and deliberate or there was a yardsale/crash and burn. There were a few times I jumped just to slow down and get things back under control. I think my 9 would have been the right call! One of the guys on a foil went out after I came in, and he headed out on his 8m. He came back in right away and went back out on a 6m.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today