Dec 21 on the ice.

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Dec 21 on the ice.

Postby jv. » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:05 pm

Little Muskego (my back yard) is ice covered 4-6 inches everywhere I checked, and feels like a Zamboni groomed it. There are ice fisherman out each of the past several days but no shanties yet. Several ATVS, though they are not driving on south end where water is deeper. I was out again today on skates, though I had my skiis sharp and ready. Spent all of my time with 5m Kitewing, though I also had a 15m Chrono foil out ready to go - but the day was simply too perfect for wing and skates to bother changing. Nice thing about the wing is that when wind came down (up and down for hours), I just skate with wing or rest, no relaunching or fighting to keep kite in the air.

However, forecast looks like sh*t for the next week. By the time I came off the ice today the Ice surface was softer, and WeatherUnderground shows temp above 45. Looks like highs this all week, with night time lows struggling to get below freezing. Methinks the ice may not last, could be iffy by end of weekend. What a shame!!

Jeff - hope things worked out for you on the big pond in Sheboygan! Considered heading to Lake Michigan with my new SUP foil to try it with a wing or sail, but I got lazy and just played in my back yard. No regrets, got all summer to play with those toys!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Re: Dec 21 on the ice.

Postby PowerManJ316 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Sounds like a fun day jv. I had some delays but still got to Bradford. There was enough wind for a 12m surfboard session. Was beautiful to kite till sunset with the mke backdrop.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Re: Dec 21 on the ice.

Postby jv. » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:06 pm

Went out again today (Sunday 12/22) for a couple hours and more than 20 miles with wing and skates. More wind, kite would have worked with skis, but once again wing and skates optimal. Now some open water on north end, ice fishermen pretty much left the lake by 1:00. Today down to 2-3 inches and a bit softer. If I go out tomorrow, expect to need drysuit as an insurance policy. No way this ice survives next few days, very sad.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today