Jan. 7: if ya can't beat em...

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Jan. 7: if ya can't beat em...

Postby jv. » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:20 pm

Well, this weather absolutely sucks! Not cold enough to provide reliable ice, and wind keeps coming from the west making Lake Michigan less of an option. Tomorrow I am going to try to kite and/or wing foil the east side of Little Muskego, wind forecast 20-30. Some open water there, but with lake drawn down the question will be depth. Will have to haul my toys over there, there is crappy ice between me and the open water. Just looked at Big Muskego at Boxhorn, but that is an icy mess right now. Hope to get on water by noon or as soon as Weather Underground says temps crawl above freezing.

If this does not pan out, Thursday south winds may put Lake Michigan in play at Bradford.

I talked with Kevin at WindPower, the ice in front of his shop in Fond du Lac is good, there was a motorcycle event on the ice last weekend. He also told me they are moving Sturgeon Stampede WAK winter kiting event up a week to the first weekend in February. They will have it closer to his shore due to poor Windybago ice conditions, but they want to avoid the snowmobile event the following weekend. Too many vying for too little ice...
Last edited by jv. on Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jv.
Kite Smurf
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 pm
Location: Earth usually.

Re: Jan. 7: if ya can't beat em...

Postby PowerManJ316 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:50 am

I feel like we have been in the transition between water and ice for 2+ months now. Yeah, its crazy but every day for the last week there was enough West wind to kite on frozen lakes, but I am not testing the ice around here any time soon.

Back in November I had a water session ruined because I showed up to Pike Lake and the lake was half froze...couldn't get to the water. Very weird year. May need to drive way up north or way down south soon for a fix. Michigan is probably kicking but right now with all the West wind.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:04 am

Re: Jan. 7: if ya can't beat em...

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:18 pm

I agree with Jeff - it's been a weird in-between season for the past 2 months.

I did head out to Bradford on Sunday (1/5) but the wind was lighter than expected (I may have got there too late as I arrive around 11:30am). I put up my new Ozone Zephyr 17m but it was too gusty --- even a kite that large kept falling out of the sky. I did get a couple of short tacks in near the shore but after fighting to keep the kite in the sky for a little bit I retired around 1:30pm. There were a bunch of surfers there on Sunday that were enjoying the waves.

I hope to head out to Bradford again this Thursday as the forecast looks VERY good. Hopefully any potential rain holds. I hope to get there between 9:30-10am when the wind is strong and temps are up near 40F. I hope to see some others there! 8)

--- Ryan
BritishBlokeRyan
Chop Suey
Chop Suey
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:38 am

Re: Jan. 7: if ya can't beat em...

Postby jv. » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Yes wind Thursday for Bradford looks good, probably because that is the only day we have plans I can't wiggle out of. Figures.

Reasonable day today on Little Muskego, wind lighter than anticipated but spent a couple hours playing with wing and foil board on the open water. Not enough steady wind to stay up on foil especially with some weeds still in the way, but can see this has real potential, especially in areas where launching a kite is not possible. Can foil windsurfing with it too, all my tools will work with this. Would have put up a kite today after playing with the wing, but my gloves were wet too long and I headed home to thaw my fingers.
jv.
Kite Smurf
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 pm
Location: Earth usually.

Re: Jan. 7: if ya can't beat em...

Postby PowerManJ316 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:26 am

Wow, you didn't miss much jv.

I couldn't get out until 10am and I totally missed the nice wind. I put up a 10m and it just wasn't enough even though 15 minutes prior it was blowing mid 20's. It came down fast and within 15 minutes started raining.

I was under-powered in the rain and huge swell from the previous wind...just not a good combination. The waves were really quite clean, but not even kite power to put them to use. Really a disappointing day.

On the good side, my wetsuit performed stellar again. Air temp was about 34 degrees and even with the rain I wasn't cold. Crazy how good those things work. Hoping we get the lakes frozen again as I am ready for some snow kiting.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf
 
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:04 am


Return to Where To Ride Today

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron