Sat Jan 18: snowkiting!

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Sat Jan 18: snowkiting!

Postby jv. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm

I talked with Kevin at Windpower today, he was snowkiting on Windybago out from his shop this week, and with new 4-6 inches of snow falling and healthy west winds tomorrow, things are lining up finally. I do not trust ice in my backyard or Boxhorn, so I am heading up tomorrow morning to kite by Kevin's place - thoughhe and Don (WAK) are going to UP to snowboard. I will post conditions when I get there, probably after 11:00am. I would not venture out a long way, but nearshore very good ice.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Re: Sat Jan 18: snowkiting!

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:45 pm

I was tempted to head down to Boxhorn tomorrow afternoon but it appears the ice is not thick enough yet with some of the warmish weather we've had on-and-off this week?

Fond du Lac's a little too far for me tomorrow.

Keep us posted JV!
BritishBlokeRyan
Chop Suey
Chop Suey

Postby jv. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:26 pm

At Sunset right now fueling up, was just at Windpower picking up some new foil wings I ordered. About to head out on Windybago, could not be better. WNW wind 20+mph, which is slightly onshore. Snow could NOT be better. Someone plowing a track for motorcycles, but more than enough room for everyone. If ya like to snowkite, here now is the place. Roads from Milwaukee wet but good winter travel conditions. I see a couple local kites are already tracking up virgin snow!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:18 pm

Couple hours & about 20 miles was enough for me. Started 12m foil, way more than needed. Eventually went down to 8m foil, much more comfortable but still more than needed. Several 6m kites up when I left! I would have difficulty remembering a better session or conditions! WOW!!! Hope others scored.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today