Sunday 19th Boxhorn?

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Sunday 19th Boxhorn?

Postby Steve271 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi guys
As we drove out to Cascade Mountain today we saw ice shanties out on lake near Delafield today (from I94)
Have any of you local guys tested Boxhorn?
It’s going to be cold tonight too.
Any chance it’s ready?
Steve
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Re: Sunday 19th Boxhorn?

Postby jv. » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:27 pm

I live on Little Muskego, couple miles from Big Muskego (Boxhorn), and I was kitesurfing on the water of that lake earlier this week - so if I were to try snowkiting on Big Muskego it would be in a drysuit. That said, I might just be doing that, see how I feel in the morning. Pretty sore after today!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Steve271 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 am

Got it- Thx
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby PowerManJ316 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:46 am

Hey Steve, I would check out a website called lake Link. do a Google search for lake Link and then just type the lake you're looking at. I've been checking all of the lakes around here like Pewaukee and Pike lake and none of the fishermen have posted that the ice has tested safe yet.

Generally I wait until the ice fisherman are posting for about a straight week that the ice is safe, then I would feel free to venture out. Remember that when we're on skis we cover dozens of miles, where the ice fishermen find good ice and stay put. I really wanted to go out yesterday but I did not feel comfortable with the ice conditions and I couldn't make it all the way up to Winnebago.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 am

The Mequon Nature Preserve has perfect snow cover and the wind is the perfect direction for it today. I don't know what crop they had, but it doesn't look like it was plowed, and nothing sticking up above snow level. Use the parking lot on Swan Rd. just north of County Line Rd. Get there while the wind is still good and before I track it all up.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:51 am

Forget about Boxhorn, looks like someone went in already just a little out from the launch. I don't mind kiting in drysuit if I am mostly kiting but occasinally wet - but looks like most of the time you would be wet there today.

Don, how much snow you see at the preserve? Agree that conditions there would look good, but I've kited there when it looked great only to find board frequently grinding on stones unless snow is deep enough, and thought that area got 4 or less inches. Hope you can post conditions, would consider dragging my sore bones over there if it is working. Normally need more like 6 inches snow or more for the board to avoid mud or stones.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:48 pm

Mequon Nature Preserve was awesome. Pretty steady wind, and the snow was deep enough to not hit ground very often. Probably 6 inches of firm snow. Firm enough that you didn't dig in very deep. I touched ground a few times. No major rocks, but def don't want to use your best snowboard there. You always have the risk of hitting some rock that got kicked up the last time they plowed. The snow was deep enough that I felt OK about doing a few little jumps. Nothing over 10 feet. Nice soft landings. The wind was variable 'cause it's terrain, but a lot more steady than it usually is. I never had a problem with a dead calm where your kite comes down, and almost never so little that I couldn't keep riding. I did use my 17m since the forecast was for the wind to die. Still some good wind left when I packed up about 2:00. Beautiful sunny day--not too cold. Hit upper 20's for speeds down the little hills, so not crazy fast but fun.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today