Wed Jan 22

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Wed Jan 22

Postby jv. » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 pm

Little Muskego ice ready today, 3-4 inches, skated on open ice but there is some snow cover too. Will be out with SW wind tomorrow, kite or wing, skiis, skates or snowboard depending on conditions. Boxhorn may work too, but ice picks and/or drysuit not a bad idea.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Re: Wed Jan 22

Postby dmonn » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:58 am

Next year I'll join for weekday sessions. This work thing is starting to cramp my style!
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby admin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:02 pm

JV is good at getting himself out of the water after breaking through the ice. I've gone in once with a kite and once walking on Big Muskego. Both times there was over 6 inches of ice everywhere else. That saying about you can never consider the ice safe? Yeah, that's true. The time I fell in while kiting I was less than 200 yards from an ice shanty, there were ATVs on the lake etc. It was just THAT spot. So what I'm saying is, until there is a whole lot of people out there, I'm not gonna risk it.

- Stafford
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jv. » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Don, though you definitely should look forward to retiring, ya did not miss anything today. Wind came down earlier than expected, and much of the snowcover was what I call 'creme-brûlée,. Snow on ice crust over inch or so of water and then more ice. Wet, crappy and probably dangerous.

Stafford, I certainly agree with you about ice safety. While I may go through more than many are willing to, always in water no more than chest deep, always with ice picks available and preferably consistent enough wind to pull me out (depending on what I am doing), and usually in a drysuit. I have lived on and windsurfed/kitesurfed this lake all year for decades, and Bonnie keeps an eye on me as our windows have commanding view of lake. Messy, dangerous if you do not have experience and a plan, but in my case and given winter conditions in Wisconsin these days, the only way to feed my addiction.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today