Sunday 8/9

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Sunday 8/9

Postby Stafford » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Good news: Sheboygan is already on. McKinely is getting there. Don is right, just outside the McKinely "bay" the water is clear.

Now the bad news. Yesterday I tried to get out at McKinely while it was onshore, but it turned off shore in about an hour. Total bummer.

The water in the "bay" was covered with cladophera and the red flag was up. Either no one knows what it means or they didn't care as plenty of people were in the water. Waves were briefly good enough to surf but still rough. Shortly after I left there was another drowning right there. So sad. With the community pools closed (where there are lifeguards too) and people not knowing the power of the waves three people needed rescue. Fortunately, two survived.
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Re: Sunday 8/9

Postby jv. » Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:22 pm

South wind will keep me and Bonnie in our back yard, if it indeed does show up. 8-10 mph fairly constant is all I need with 7m wing & 2000 foil, should do better than that.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Good day on the water at home, hope all had good day!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:29 am

Stafford, was that you I saw yesterday (Sunday) afternoon in the marina with a blue and white kite (foil board)?
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby Stafford » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 am

Yeah Don, that was me. I was way overpowered on a 10m with that huge foil so I went back for a surfboard until the wind died.
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:00 pm

It looked like you were going a wee bit faster than the posted 5 mph limit! I half expected to see flashing blue lights. My student asked if I would do that in the marina. Nope. At least you weren't playing slalom course with the moored boats like we do at SSYC.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:35 pm

I've never had much trouble inside the break. However do not play around the inlet. Got flagged down and yelled at for surfing some waves near the inlet. Certainly were not happy about that.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:31 am

Riding inside the harbor is not a problem. Inside the marina there's a 5 mph speed limit that they would probably enforce if you played in the middle where the boat moorings are.

Playing with the waves at the gaps is a no-no. One of the very few instances where I've been pissed off enough to really scream at somebody was at the North Gap. A big-a$$ powerboat stopped right in front of me sailing, and couldn't seem to understand why I was upset.

When fishermen troll back and forth across the gap when the salmon are there, they usually get yelled at or their lines might get caught on a sailboat's keel, and the sailboat wouldn't even feel it. The gaps are Kinda like at the airport (used to be): "The white zone is for loading and unloading passengers--no standing or parking allowed."
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today