Wed 8/19 and Thursday 8/20

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Wed 8/19 and Thursday 8/20

Postby dmonn » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Looks like today would have been a great day at Sheboygan. I'm hoping tomorrow afternoon works at Pike. I'll probably be there about noon if the forecast is correct.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Re: Wed 8/19 and Thursday 8/20

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Hey Dmonn,

I actually kited at McKinley this afternoon (decided to take the drive as it's so close to me) and Stafford was already there setting up. I was on the 17m and was constantly overpowered even after adjusting my lines at the beach a couple of times, so probably could have ridden the 13m. Stafford was on a 13m foil I believe. We rode for a couple of hours and it was solid.

As I drove home around 4:30pm someone was setting up at Bradford (Slingshot kite, so may be JR?) and then again when I was heading to the beer garden around 6pm it looked like Steve was out at McKinley (Core kite)?

I hope everyone got some!
BritishBlokeRyan
King of the Clam Bake

Postby Steve271 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:54 pm

Yep, that was me.
Had fun on a 13.5m this evening, from 5-7pm, wind was upper teens and very steady. Kiran and I rode From the gravel beach between McKinley and Bradford, by the jet ski rental hut. It was awesome we had it to ourselves- lots of swell to play with, and shore break was under 2 feet. Very playful conditions that inspired confidence.

Someone was also out on Bradford- too many beach goers for our comfort
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby dmonn » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:45 am

When there are lots of people on the beach, especially at Bradford, I avoid it. Launching there seems to often be a little tricky--too much shore effect causing turbulence and gusts. We want to make sure we don't hurt anybody, or even scare them a bit. It could cause us to be banned from the beach.

Today's forecast looks good for inland. SW would be good at Delavan, Pike, or Winnie. The launch at Wind Power is sketchy for a SW. It works better on a W wind. Pike is usually pretty good with a SW, but there will be a "hole" in the wind in the middle of the lake. Ride north from the launch area before trying to cross to the west side. On a SW the wind is usually best on the west side of the lake. Just don't get suckered into riding into the little bay by the bar/"marina" on the west side. The wind is super unpredictable there, right Powerman? To get back to the launch area, I usually ride upwind pretty far, and then do an angled downwinder to the east side of the lake, and then back upwind to the launch area.

I plan to be at Pike by noon today.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:36 pm

Wing foiling at home today in my back yard kinda nice!

As for Bradford if there are people on the beach, watch out for rocks to the head. Right Don?
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:31 am

Yup. I remember you getting beaned. Little future criminal.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today