Saturday August 29

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Saturday August 29

Postby OnWisco18 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Given the wind coming through on Saturday, where are the best places to ride? Winnebago would seem to work... How about Big M or SSYC?
OnWisco18
Chop Suey
Chop Suey

Re: Saturday August 29

Postby jv. » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:34 pm

Yes, windybago either at WindPower (Roosevelt Park near Sunset Supperclub) or at Deadwood Point would work. As will SSYC possibly if you do not mind the obstacle course given the angle, and the swamp if you don't mind weed fields.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:21 am

I don't think SSYC works very well on a NNW wind direction. Winnebago would work well, and parking at WindPower/Roosevelt Park has much better parking and setup area than Deadwood Point. Pike Lake also works well on a NNW direction. If I'm not around, just ask any of the windsurfers there where Don launches. It's a pretty easy drift launch. No weeds to speak of between shore and where you need to stand for your launch.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:30 pm

Likely winnebago for me...possibly Madison.

Strongly discourage SSYC on NNW and even N.

I am passionate about predicting the wind, maybe a little out of necessity given I've got two 4 year olds and a 3 year old and unlike the other Jeff, I still have to work too :)

Note for SSYC, technically NNW is side-shore; however, you don't want to kite on that direction because zoom out on your map...less than 2000 feet upwind you have significant obstacles and with that wind direction you will have crappy wind. Even pike lake has nearly 1 mile of uninterrupted wind flow prior to shoreline...and we all know Pike is up and down. This is also why Big Muskego doesn't work nearly as well on NNW or NW as on SW...its not just about onshore wind, it's how much space upwind do you have in which there are no obstacles.

Looking forward to seeing everyone out tomorrow!
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby Steve271 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Also leaning towards Winnebago, but I’m curious about why Madison is on the list? Is there a better launch spot
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby PowerManJ316 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:30 am

I'll be up at Winnebago around 11ish
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:01 am

Also planning to be at Winnebago around 11:15. See you lads there
BritishBlokeRyan
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby jv. » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:35 am

Bonnie and I will be there closer to noon.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:20 pm

I hope Winnie was good. Pike was a good time, too. Another fun mix of watersports there. Some powerboaters, jetskis, but mostly windsurfers, me, Wingfoilers Joe and Ryan, and windsurf foiler Bruce.

Joe hit a major milestone today. He managed his first wingfoil gybe where he stayed on the foil. He hit two of them. Bruce is getting longer and longer runs on his foil, but gybing on a foil looks like it's going to take a while. Today was Joe's first time wingfoiling, and he was getting some nice runs on a foil. 84-year-old Hans is still tearing it up on his windsurfer. He's my hero! He does competition masters class skiing out west in the winter, and windsurfing the rest of the year. JV--you and Bonnie ever run into him? He wears a yellow helmet.

Stafford--Hans is interested in learning to kite this winter. He says COVID is going to keep him in Wisconsin this winter, and needs something to do and spend money on. I gave him the website info. I also gave another friend the website info. Ned Purtell. Good guy. He's one of Mary's former, former, former bosses. Did either one of these guys contact you yet?
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:20 pm

Don, not sure we know him but maybe by sight. I am terrible with names. Glad to hear of the watersport diversity!! You know I am a fan of that. For at windybago I managed two wing foil sessions, one kite session and one windsurf session, borrowed Bonnie's s board when she came in. (A Kai Lenny day except w/o his outrageous talent...) I rarely make my gybes on foil, but none for me today as I struggled in the deep troughs as wind swell was challenging me. When wind was up, my 5m wing was perfect, but frequently wished I had put up my 7m - shlogging is murderous in those waves. Likewise, 10m kite felt great half the time, but too little other times. Saw Powerman on the water, but Jeff you left before you got the beer I had along for you... Great day!!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Stafford » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:05 am

Good to see JV, BBR, Steve, Kiran, Jeff, and all the FDL, Sheboygan, and others at the Bagel. Don, I haven't heard from those guys yet, but thanks! I always appreciate referrals. BTW, do you know windesurfer Eric Olson?
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:55 pm

Stafford, I do know Eric. His wife has played tennis/paddleball with my younger sister, too. He's been a regular at Pike Lake for a lot of years. How do you know him?
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:47 am

jv - sorry i missed your beer and you and Bonnie.

I was off the water for about an hour looking around for you, but didn't realize you went back out on a kite. Stafford and I couldn't locate you otherwise would have stuck around a little longer.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:17 am

Sorry, bad habit of mine - if the wind is blowing I am usually staying wet - and as I have been focusing so hard on wing this season I was a bit starved for kite time. Since as you well know we are not early risers, our session started after yours. If you would have stopped by Bonnie, I am sure she would have shared the beer, was enough for Stafford too. The one we had along is from Eagle Park Brewing which just opened a Muskego location. Peach Milkshake IPA - a surprisingly refreshing sour style beer that really hits the spot after a session!

Going out right now, surprisingly good south wind at home Monday...
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:13 pm

Awwww man, now I am really jealous. Sours and Saisons are my favs and yes, nothing would have tasted better after a 2 hour session Saturday.

Be sure to save one for me next time we are out, those sound fabulous.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today