Thursday 9/3

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Re: Thursday 9/3

Postby dmonn » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:58 pm

I've had a lot of great sessions on that lake, including a New Year's Eve session with just a little ice around the edges of the lake.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:51 pm

Joined the WAK crew today on west side of Windybago north of Deadwood. Waves quite a handful even by Winnebago standards! Great day, hope all scored! Sunday south wind...
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby PowerManJ316 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:45 pm

Had a great session with Bob Cook and the Madison crew at Burrows. She was blowin today.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:05 am

I had a great session at Pike yesterday. The wind was crazy, with lulls down to 10 and gusts to 30. I had no issues. I rode a 12m with a TT that handled all but the biggest gusts OK. Yesterday the gusts and lulls were both very short, so I didn't spend much time soaking or out of control. I caught a big gust a few times right after takeoff on a jump, and had some of my biggest jumps of the season. Very fun.

There were a couple of issues for two others on the water, though. Hans (84 year old windsurfer who still tears it up) caught a big gust wrong and somehow sliced his hand at the wrist pretty badly. He thinks it was something on his harness. His hand was also badly bruised. Looked awful. Blood all over his hand. Bruce (windsurfer) and I hauled his gear and packed it up for him. Hans being Hans he said "maybe I should have this looked at". Duh. He'll probably need a ton of stitches. The gash was at least 3 inches long. Ouch!

Joe the Wingfoiler caught a gust wrong and his foil landed on his wing, Sliced the fabric and then punctured his leading edge bladder. Not sure it's salvageable. He's had it less than a month. Big ooops. Bruce tried windsurf foiling for most of an hour and finally gave up. Too gusty to make it work. He said he spent more time in the water than riding.

Otherwise it was great! :)
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:56 am

Sorry to hear about Hans and Joe! I had wingfoiled with Joe Thursday on Pike he is making great progress, his jibes are better than mine. Just like Thursday on Pike, on Friday on Windybago I wingfoiled several sessions and kited in between to rest (just baffing in the surf strapless, no jumping.). When I review my session from my garmin watch, my pulse us constantly higher wing foiling, then constantly lower while kiting, definately less stress and effort even in big wind and gnarley waves, even though speed about the same. Wing foiled with Mark, by far the most advanced wing foiler in the area, already hitting most jibes and able to foil waves downwind. It figures though, Mark is probably the best freestyle windsurfer and one of the better freestyle kiters I know, and a pretty good surfer. Something for this old man to aspire to. I am glad the wind is not blowing today, my body needs a day to recover... South wind tomorrow!!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Previous

Return to Where To Ride Today