Sunday Sept 6th

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Sunday Sept 6th

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Looks like there will be a gentle breeze at Bradford/McKinley tomorrow. ;P

I will be looking to arrive after lunch (1ish) once the kiddos go down for a nap. Hope to see some kite lads there!
BritishBlokeRyan
Master of da Bow Kite

Re: Sunday Sept 6th

Postby Steve271 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:51 pm

I’m curious about Racine North Beach for a more sheltered launch in bigger waves- what do the rest of you think?
I’ve never ridden there, but the angles look easier for huge wind & waves From South
Also wind looks like it could be cleaner for due South, as it shouldn’t travel over land like it may for McKinely
Does that make sense or is there something I’m missing about that location?
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby lucasraimondi » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:46 am

North beach works very well
lucasraimondi
Buoy
Buoy

Postby BritishBlokeRyan » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:21 pm

McKinley now
BritishBlokeRyan
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby jv. » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Well, a couple hours of wingfoiling at home, enough wind to foil about 1/3 of the time. Came in a short time ago to head out for dinner with family, NOW, finally the real wind arrives! You are welcome to anyone going out now, I just needed to get off the water I guess...
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby Steve271 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:16 pm

Sheboygan was awesome this afternoon- I arrived just as locals were changing down, so got to use my 7m and smallest board, biggest swells I’ve ridden a kite in (occasionally over head high, but I’m not that tall :D) and pretty clean for a lake- much better formed than Winnebago last week.
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby dmonn » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:05 am

Bummer I missed it. Yeah, the waves at Winnebago are steep and really close together. Hard to play with other than as ramps for jumping. Sheboygan waves can be really fun. Looks like there could be more Sheboygan fun coming up.

Pretty good ENE wind in the forecast. The timing and likelihood of rain will dictate if I'm willing to take the trip to Sheboygan. ENE wind puts some spots in Milwaukee into play.

With the lake level up so high, I've thought about checking out Lakeshore State Park on an east-ish wind. Launch your kite off the beach, then walk it to the east side of the park and ride off the rip-rap. If the waves aren't too bad (inside the breakwater can still be pretty choppy) and the water so high, getting in and out on the rip-rap might be OK. Gotta see it first to make the call. SSYC, Bradford or McKinley also work for those directions, but playing with the sailboats in the harbor can be fun. If we keep our distance, most of the sailors get a kick out of watching us.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby Steve271 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:54 pm

I'd love to try inside the breakwater if we allowed to ride
Can you post a map image with a pin of where you would launch?
Also where would you park?
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Postby PowerManJ316 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:41 pm

Whos ready for some nukin nor'easter?!?
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:39 pm

I am in Jeff, but going to be a bit more careful, tweaked my back and have an MRI scheduled for Wednesday. That said, no way I miss the nor'easter, but thinking inside breakwall might ba a bit less painful for me. Either SSYC, or thinking of checking out Don's interesting suggestion. That particular venue might be rather friendly especially for wing and foil, as I have had some difficulty with weeds at SSYC. Game-time call, will have to see if/when heavy rain and/or lightning might be in the area.

Don - where is best place to park and carry equipment in? Assume walk Hank Aaron Trail in??
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:02 am

You've got the same questions I have. It's been a lot of years since I've been there. I remember it wasn't much of a walk from where you park to get to the "almost an island". I don't even know if there's any sand beach left with the high water we've got. I also don't know if there are any park rules that would prohibit us from launching there, or if the rip-rap along the east side even makes it safe to ride from. Gotta have fresh eyes on it to check it out.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today