Sunday 1 Nov

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Sunday 1 Nov

Postby Steve271 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:26 pm

Looking forward to some flatter water.
Stafford is the swamp clear of weeds now?
How about hunting season- is it safe to ride there tomorrow?
Steve271
Master of da Bow Kite

Re: Sunday 1 Nov

Postby Stafford » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:10 am

NW is the narrow direction of Big Muskego, making it even more gusty. But the water level is up a little and the weeds are down a little. There are some hunters out there, but they don't stay near the launch site and mostly shoot at dawn anyway.

I may take the day off because I'm pretty tired from yesterday, it's gusty and cold, and tomorrow promises a better wind direction.

- Stafford
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby bigjoe » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:17 am

I was thinking about going to the bagel, but my son wants to try lake Geneva. Has anyone kited there? It looks like there is a small beach on the south east end of the lake that should work for today.
bigjoe
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:24 am

Are you looking at the spot by Big Foot Beach state park? If so, I've been there. As I recall you have to carry your kite across the street and launch from the water. It was shallow enough to do that pretty easily. Nice grassy area to set up, but you had to drop your kite in the water when you came in (power lines along the road?). It's been more than 10 years since I've been there so I could be wrong about some of this.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jramato1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:11 am

I just pulled into wind power....no one else here....but prime conditions
jramato1
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 pm

Joe, I have kited Bigfoot Beach, and like Don said I would advise caution. I have walked the whole shore out far enough to drift launch, and it can work - but any mistakes and you will probably be dealing with a kite on a busy highway if wind is blowing straight onshore. A side-on angle works much better, but strong kite skills are still required. I only kite there if I have someone willing to launch/land me in the water. It is a beautiful place to ride this time of year. When it is warm, that whole shore can fill with boats anchored, but this time of year it thinns out.

Joe, while that beach would work in this wind direction, take a look at Silver Lake Beach in Kenosha County. Another great launch this time of year, pleanty of grassy area for landing and nice shallow areas too for water launch if preferred.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today