Nov 9 & 10

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.

Nov 9 & 10

Postby jv. » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Things looking great in my back yard already today, some chores and then playtime. Tomorrow some rain enters the mix, wind speeds become more challenging, and by end of day the south wind begins to change and we loose that welcome warmth. Been a great run of warm wind since we came back from OBX, feels like we bought it back with us!!

Becoming a proficient wing foiler was more challenging than I expected when I began a year ago, but after struggles with equipment, conditions and my own physical limitations glad to say it was worth it! It is one more fun alternative - but I can confirm my own suspicions that even when proficient, for me foils are for light and moderate wind, kites and sails on boards surfing the water is more fun for moderate to heavy winds. In Hatteras I spent a couple days in 40+ windgusts and though it can be done, it is not as fun as having the right board on the water IMHO.
Last edited by jv. on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Re: Nov 9 & 10

Postby jv. » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Great today, better tomorrow, though gonna be wet. Of course, will be wet anyway!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Ok, I am now spent and the rain held off long enough for me to spend quality time today in frankly some of most consistent wind of the year. Going to have to get out the drysuit after today methinks.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Re: Nov 9 & 10 & 11

Postby dmonn » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:50 pm

Looks like tomorrow morning / noon / early afternoon could be good west wind. If I'm up and out of the house early enough, I'll head for Pike (wind cooperating, of course.)
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:21 pm

My morning session at Pike today was good. Big kite but twin tip. Sunny and reasonably steady wind--steadier than typical for Pike. The air was pretty chilly--mid thirties, but the sun felt good. My only issue was that my index fingers got really cold. I switched from full mittens to 3-finger claw type, and they weren't nearly as warm. I wish there was a 3-finger mitten that would allow you to retract your index finger into the rest of the mitten. That would be perfect.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Where To Ride Today