Sept 3 SSYC

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.
Stafford
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 1

Sept 3 SSYC

Post by Stafford »

Hoping the north wind arrives without rain.
jv.
Kite Smurf
antiSpamKiter: Kiter
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Re: Sept 3 SSYC

Post by jv. »

If I go out today, probably Grant Park. Wing and foil can be a challenge getting into and out of bigger shore break, and NE forecast with growing winds can certainly provide that sooner or later. However last time I was there with NE wind I explored getting in and out of water just south of the breakwall right outside north end of South Milwaukee Yacht Club. A little awkward to cross a bit of the creek, but better than facing bigger shorebreak with foil. Really prefer to play with the foil out in the waves instead of dodging boats at SSYC.

Right now my back is bothering me from some work I did late yesterday, that might keep me out of water though today, hoping for the best.
BritishBlokeRyan
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Post by BritishBlokeRyan »

On my way to SSYC now
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Conditions Saturday looked great on WindAlert, but due to an issue with my back I ended up missing out. Feeling marginally better today (Sunday), going to head to Grant Park sometime early afternoon hoping for the best.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

At Grant right now, steady 13-15 knots not too terrible shore break, keading out wingfoiling.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Should have blown up my 7m, but bet on my 4.5 m wing. Not quite enough, wind down marginally, and I am just too lazy and sore after getting back to shore to re-rig. Big kite would work nice.

BTW: Though frustrating that I used wrong size wing today, I did get to test my theory that landing behind the breakwall might work. Though the shore break was not particularly bad today, other days it can really crash there and unlike Bradford it gets deeper quickly. However, when there is more N than E, behind the breakwall works great for wing and foil. Not really needed for kite, and the few rocks and low fence would pose a challenge with kite in the air anywhere. But for a wing and foil, easier to manage less shore break there and not worry foil will end up in wing!
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Post by dmonn »

Yesterday (Tuesday) I had a great session here in Port Washington. I rode my 12m and TT. No problem getting away from shore, and it was an easy 3 tacks upwind to get into the harbor. Inside the harbor the wind was great. Fun speed runs and jumps on flat water with steady wind. Outside the breakwater was a little strange. The wind and waves were not lined up, and there must have been a pretty strong current. On one tack the wind seemed much lighter than the other tack. I'm guessing that was from a current. On port tack (heading out) going upwind was straight into the waves. On starboard tack upwind was surfing the waves. Very odd, but fun. Overall a good session. Warm water, good wind, sunny day. Very few people on the beach (South Beach).