Nov 5-6

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.
jv.
Kite Smurf
antiSpamKiter: Kiter
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Nov 5-6

Post by jv. »

Today (Fri, Nov 4) a bust, wind too light still and now raining.

HOWEVER, tomorrow looks pretty good, NOAA still has wind 25-50 mph SW, rain early and warm enough to (probably) avoid gloves. I am planning on back yard, Bonnie sitting it out as that is a little much for her. I could try Bradford, but thinking maybe too much west showing up.

Sunday looks good again, and Bonnie hoping to get in one more good session this year so I am going to plan on back yard again.
Stafford
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 1

Re: Nov 5-6

Post by Stafford »

If we can get out there without rain and even reasonably steady wind, I know there will be many of us Woo Warriors at the swamp!
OPtotheMFB
Buoy
Buoy
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Post by OPtotheMFB »

Hi all,

I just moved to the area so not familiar with the local spots. Where might be the best place tomorrow with what looks like SSW wind?

Thanks in advance
Stafford
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 1

Post by Stafford »

Bradford Beach is the best Milwaukee spot for SSW, S, and SE, and E wind. If it goes SW, or W, then Big Muskego. N and NE is best at South Shore Yacht Club beach, There are other spots that a great outside the area too, but those are the most common.

How experienced a rider are you, OPtotherMFB?

- Stafford
OPtotheMFB
Buoy
Buoy

Post by OPtotheMFB »

Hi Stafford,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

When I was trying to do some internet research, it looked like Sheboygan is a great sport in the area, much would be offshore in SSW. I live North of the city so OK with spots outside of the Milwaukee area.

I would consider myself intermediate: been riding for about 10 years, but not frequently enough to progress past "mowing the lawn" and basic jumps/transitions.

Cheers, Olivier
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Post by Stafford »

Oliver,

Bradford will be tough today as there is no time between the shore break waves. But the wind will be more onshore here than in Sheboygan. But the water is cleaner up there and the beach is longer.

I'll be at Bradford in an hour.

- Stafford
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Heading out in back yard now, S wind shifting SW now 20-30 mph in back yard, so Boxhorn should be rocking. Lightning approaching from SW, will probably chase me off water eventually. Enjoy, and stay safe!!
Steve271
Kite Smurf

Post by Steve271 »

Heading to Boxhorn as soon as the direction shifts
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Well, the gust to 48mph when the front went through at 12:15 was a little more than I needed, but I knew it was coming and had seen the lightning strikes just before it so I was heading to my shore and just rode it out. Otherwise nice day on the water, though temps were dropping late in session and would have needed gloves so I called it a day. Getting old I guess…. More tomorrow!
Steve271
Kite Smurf

Post by Steve271 »

Yeah also wish I had worn gloves- my hands were my limiting factor at the Swamp.
That plus the light switch gusts- kind of sucked the fun out of it.
Tomorrow looks awesome though!
BritishBlokeRyan
Kite Smurf

Post by BritishBlokeRyan »

WE LIVE TO KITE ANOTHER DAY!

Wow, so much (unnecessary) power at Bradford today. Got there at 11:30 and rode a 10m fully trimmed with my smallest board and was mostly WAY overpowered. So much so that just riding through the chop and getting back was really all I could do.

Stafford joined on a 7 meter and Jeff put up an 8 meter and immediately put it back down after launching -- very wise!

At about 12:15 a 58-mph gust came through for a good couple of minutes and was definitely one of the scariest moments on a kite for me. So much so that I just pulled my self-rescue because the kite was taking me to the moon (or the hospital) otherwise. I was very close to shore as I sensed it was coming so was able to put the kite down without major incident. I think Stafford ended up doing the same.

Then the wind shifted offshore and we all agreed that was it for the day. Looked liked lulls were around 25 and gusts 50-60mph.

ONE FOR THE AGES haha
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Post by dmonn »

Pike Lake for me today. I hope to get there by about 10. Glad I wasn't even able to consider kiting yesterday. Sounds like a crazy time.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Post by PowerManJ316 »

BBR was right...one one the hairiest days I've ever been out. Glad I put the kite down and helped others recover.

I read an article from sail flow (the team that powers iKiteSurf, etc). Most of you may know Shea Gibson - that team did a study on an incident a few years back where a rider on a 17m kite got lofted about 30 ft up into the air.

Long story short, they describe a boundary flow that precedes a strong squall...it's exceptionally dangerous because it generally doesn't show up on the radar nor visibly with clouds. It's goes anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes in front of powerful storms. The sail flow team estimated it can add +15 knots to current wind.

This is exactly what I witnessed yesterday. As I was setting up I felt a significant boost in wind. Stafford noticed as well. This was about 5 to 10 min before the major squall and rain BBR describe came through.

I'll see if I can dig up the article.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Jeff - those of us who have been addicted to watersports for 40 years are well acquainted with outflows preceeding some storms. I can sometimes recognize the signature on good radar, and the distance between storm and outflow can vary. I saw it yesterday in Illinois when I checked radar and posted that I was going out. There was also lightning and I was keen to watch for that as an early indicator. Worst outflows are those that make signifigant change in wind direction. The one yesterday mostly intensified prevailing wind direction, but in Muskego it made slight shift adding a little more west. I survived it riding back to shore yesterday as I saw a couple lightning strikes closer than expected and started working my way back (glad I was using my smallest wing and foil), then dropped in shallow water and waited it out with wing and board glued to the water. Glad I did not have a kite up! If I know something like that is coming I try to make sure kite is down for sure.

Hoping to get out today around noon, but have a bit of cleaning up here to do after a day full of 50+mph gusts and many hours of sustained winds over 30mph.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's really good right now on Big Muskego. Way better than I expected.