Hand Signals

Beach Access, Safety, etc.
Steve271
Kite Smurf
antiSpamKiter: Kiter
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Hand Signals

Post by Steve271 »

Hey all,
I saw an interesting topic on Kiteforum and thought since we often help each other out- it could be helpful to have a common sign language:
Attachments
32D41A6E-2817-4C30-B6A5-2B40480DD4D2.jpeg
13C4AA05-C4CB-46B7-A549-3F1676073F84.jpeg
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Re: Hand Signals

Post by PowerManJ316 »

The OK hand signal is critical.

We all have gone down on the big lake and need to swim in - when the police inevitably get called we need to know this signal.

Great post Steve.
Steve271
Kite Smurf

Re: Hand Signals

Post by Steve271 »

I had a chat with a MKE coast guard officer last month.
He clarified my understanding that they don’t charge for a rescue & and they ask lots of clarifying questions when someone is asking for one on someone else’s behalf- e.g. is he waving for help, is he making progress, etc
He said they have a good understanding that kiteboarders are usually competent watermen and dressed for the conditions- they will generally ignore a well meaning report unless we are clearly in distress.

Reinforces need to know “OK” and “Help” signals