Bar/Control System Tuning

Beach Access, Safety, etc.

Bar/Control System Tuning

Postby PowerManJ316 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:29 am

Hey everyone. I am looking for a little advice on my control bar. I got all my gear used last year and as this season is ramping up, I am looking over everything and adjusting where needed. My base gear is 2010 cabrinha switchblades, with the 2010 cabrinha control bar. I watched this following youtube video that really nicely helps describe how to keep your bar/line lengths properly adjusted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez4IKpD-p8k

My cabrinha bars were quite of our tune as expected, the front lines were significantly stretched. In case you don't feel like watching the video, I basically tied all four lines to a post and then hooked my bar up and put tension on the chicken loop. I tried to pull the bar all the way back to so the bar would contact the chicken loop connector (full power position). However, since the front lines were stretched, when I pulled the bar back as far as the lines would allow, there was still 6-8" to where the bar should have gone. After watching the video I understand how to adjust this to correct the problem.

So here is my real problem, the one I actually need advice on. I bought a 2014 Naish Universal control bar. I did the same test with it (it's brand new) and no surprises, everything worked as described. However, when I hook it up to my cabrinha kites, they seem really underpowered. basically, I pull in the bar in all the way (full power position) and they just don't feel like they have the same power as when I use my old cabrinha bars. The Naish bar has 24m lines where the cabrinhas have 22m lines...so no real big difference there.

I can think of a few problems or things to troubleshoot and would like others opinions:

1. My Cabrinha's bars were really overpowered: since the front lines stretched and when the bar was at arms length, this was really powered up. Longer front lines give more power. This also describes when the kite became really "jumpy" when I pulled the bar in. I was actually way oversheeting the kite. I posted last summer on this that when I was really powered up and tried to pull the bar in, the kite became uncontrollable. The kite became wild and really pulled crazy hard. I think this is now explained.

2. Since I am used to the overpowered bar setup with really strong pressure, the Naish bar properly setup "feels" weak in comparison even though it is flying properly. I probably don't have enough experience to really know the difference. Since I learned on the cabrinha's, that is what my brain correlates to "normal".

3. Could the Naish bar require a bit more adjustment so the steering feels less sloppy? I feel like the rear lines should be just a bit shorter, or lengthen the front lines. When the kite is at the edge of the wind window, I can barely steer it. I need to grab the floaters on the side of the bar. Is this normal? Again, maybe my brain is just confused because I learned on the cabrinha bar/lines, where the rear lines were waaay shorter than they should have been.

I appreciate any thoughts and help. This stuff is a bit hard to describe, so if anyone is bored and wants some hands on I would love some help tuning. If we meet after a session or on a windless day, I would be happy to take you out for a burger/beer for your help and time.

Jeff
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Re: Bar/Control System Tuning

Postby PowerManJ316 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:19 am

So I spent some time yesterday on the beach looking things over and testing some adjustments. I have the bar setup working excellent with my big kite (14m).

The bar has adjustable ends, so you can change the effective length of the bar. This is the first time I used my new Naish bar with my 14m kite. The other two times I used my Naish bar was with the 10m and 8m kite. I am guessing the bar length was needs to be modified for those two kites which is why they were flying unresponsively. Next time I get out (Thursday/Friday hopefully) I will test the new bar with the smaller kites.

I want to say "thanks" to Ryan who was also at Bradford and gave me a lot of good advice and helped launch/land me several times while testing the different configurations. Thanks Ryan!!!!
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Re: Bar/Control System Tuning

Postby PowerManJ316 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:43 am

Got all my control bars tuned properly. Wow, really makes quite a difference in the handling of the kites.

My kites were all 2010 and I got them used. When I did the tuning test, the center/front lines were about 10" too long due to stretching. I adjusted this down so they were only about 1-2" longer than the rear lines. I didn't go even because I have very long arms and like the bar out a bit in my optimal riding position. I have ridden the smaller kites twice now and here are the key differences I feel/see:
* Much less bar pressure. Probably about 1/2 the bar pressure I had before. My grip doesn't fatigue nearly as fast and my hands stay warmer actually.
* Far more stable flying. When gusts git before I was pulled and shaken, now everything is far more smooth
* The kite drifts better. I can let go of the bar and the kite stays in it's position longer. Before it would always pull to 9 or 3 o clock.

If anyone has older gear and wants a hand tuning the bar, I'd be happy to help. Very straight forward with the Cabrinha bar. Thanks again to those that gave advice and help as I was tuning!
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Return to Open Forum