Kiting on Green Lake WI?

Beach Access, Safety, etc.

Kiting on Green Lake WI?

Postby PhillB » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Anyone have experience kiting on Green Lake or are familiar with this lake? I'm spending a week at there. It is a big lake - much bigger the Big Muskego. Since I've never been, I'm looking for any insight and information. Is it a good like to kite on? Where to launch and kite from?

Thanks, Phill
PhillB
Chop Suey
Chop Suey

Re: Kiting on Green Lake WI?

Postby Stafford » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:13 am

G.L. works best on W and SW wind. Launch from the beach on the east end of the lake but be careful as there is a road and power lines behind you. On the west end, you might be able to launch from the city park on the SW corner, but only on an east wind or NE at best.

- Stafford
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Re: Kiting on Green Lake WI?

Postby dmonn » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:40 pm

I agree with Stafford. GL is a great lake for kiting if you have the right wind direction. The SW corner of the lake (if I remember my directions correctly) has a State Park and boat ramp. I've drift launched from there, and it's not too bad. The east end is shallow for a long distance from shore, but like Stafford said, you need to watch out for the power lines. Easy drift launch there, since the water is shallow and no weeds (typically). The lake can set up some nice wind-driven waves for ramps to jump from. The water's nice and clear and clean. Love the lake, but it's a pretty long drive unless you're staying there for a while.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Open Forum