July 7 through 15 at rock island

Beach Access, Safety, etc.

July 7 through 15 at rock island

Postby bigjoe » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:26 am

Putting together a trip to rock island next summer. I am planning on sailing up, but plan on camping and kiting that week and would love to share the time with others. Anyone interested?
bigjoe
Kite Smurf

Re: July 7 through 15 at rock island

Postby PowerManJ316 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:47 am

I get up to Door County a few times each summer and love kiting there. I'll share my thoughts.

Rock Island is a fun place. With ESE, SE, S, SSW you can kite off a nice sand beach on the South end of the island. Very shallow water, and warm frequently. Fun location. With N, NNW, NW winds, you can kite off the grassy area by the ferry dock. N is a little offshore but it's fine if you've got a little experience. SW, W and E would be more challenging directions. N wind is my favorite because you can kite between Rock Island, Washington Island and perhaps even further if you're daring. No obstructions if you stay on the N side of all the islands. Also, kiting in the bay is fun between Rock Island and Wash island. There are several shallow areas that create flat water even with 20 knots of wind.

Rock island takes a bit of planning to get to by car. You need to drive all the way up to Northport, then ferry to Wash island (with a car likely), then drive to the NE corner of wash island, then ferry over to Rock Island (note there are no cars/bicycles allowed on Rock Island). Rock Island is very primitive, running water and electricity at central location, but no electricity or water at camping sites.

If you are less adventurous, Baileys harbor is the place to be on SE type wind. Shallow in the bay and you can kite out into the lake if you want. I've never actually kited the bay side. It's challenging because there are tons of people all over the beaches and access is not great for kiting. There are some locations, but I'd say less than ideal at best.

For timing, I always spend time up in Sister Bay the week of the 4th. The 4th falls on a Wednesday in 2018, so I'll likely be up there something like Mon - Fri (2nd - 6th). I would love to extend that a few days into the following weekend, but probably would not be able to stay the following week as well, so the 8th would probably be when I need to leave. If others have not planned this too far out yet, I'd say lets try the week before bigjoe. How about the 2nd - 10th or so.
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:49 am

My daughter and family may be in Door County the week of July 4th, which means my wife and I will also spend some time there that week. The trip to Washington Island could be on the list, so the timing could be good to meet up with anybody on Rock Island. I might even talk my wife into cutting me loose for a few hours to kite. Pretty iffy at this point, but I'll see how family plans develop.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby jv. » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Bonnie and might be available, will pencil it in and see what develops. We would probably take 5th wheel RV up with equipment, and find a place to camp on penisula but take ferries to the island. Getting my kiting gear to Rock Island probably not too difficult, the challenge would be Bonnie's windsurfing gear.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Postby dmonn » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:35 pm

From the NE part of Washington Island (near the Ferry Dock) it would be a pretty short sail/kite to Rock Island. It looks like it's well under a mile. If the wind is favorable for a crossing, that would make it easy to do for a day trip. If the wind is from the wrong direction it could be a bit of a challenge.

It looks like sand/gravel beach and sandbars between the two islands that almost connect them. That could make for some fun speed runs with the right wind. It also looks like public access to the east of the ferry dock (Google Earth view). I think my wife and I checked out that beach, and it looked pretty cool. That was 15 years ago, so I could be wrong about the beach. If it's the one I remember, the hike to it from where you park is very short.

Just a thought.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Postby bigjoe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Well, there are now 2 confirmed boats going and 3 more maybe. There may not be much room to sail up on the boats as there is limited sleeping room on them, but I think we would have plenty of room to ferry to the island and provide rescue assistance as needed.
bigjoe
Kite Smurf

Return to Open Forum