Spring Wetsuits/Clothing

Gear reviewed, commented upon

Spring Wetsuits/Clothing

Postby PowerManJ316 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:59 am

I am wondering if anyone has experience with wetsuits that are for warmer weather, or prefereably not a wetsuit but pants or a top that are easy to get into / out of / dry.

The target conditions are 60 F water temp with 60 - 70 air temp. If it's too much colder than this, I'll use my full 5/4/3 wesuit. But when it is in the range listed, I would like to know what people use.

Right now I have a good thermal top and an NP Armor skin top that keep my core pretty warm. I have nothing for my bottom half though. So ideally I am looking for recommendations on pants, unless a shortie suit would just be a better idea.

Anybody able to share their experiences? I naturally have a very warm body, so I typically can use thinner suits or a typical suit at the coldest part of its range.

Thanks,
Jeff
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf

Re: Spring Wetsuits/Clothing

Postby jv. » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:27 pm

I am sure you will discount my advise, given my propensity to favor board shorts to most anything else as the temps drop, but in the conditions you describe it is most important to keep your trunk warm - your legs will tolerate those temps just fine. I think you have seen the hooded water jacket I use, that along with a tight neoprene vest keep me quite warm while kiting. The risk - as you are well aware, is in a breakdown with long swim. Mitigating that risk has to do with where you are kiting and what chances you are taking. I focus on mitigating those risks instead of overdressing, but that is just me.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Return to Gear Reviews