Boot and mitten dryer

Gear reviewed, commented upon

Boot and mitten dryer

Postby dmonn » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:24 pm

I've tried a bunch of dryers for booties and mittens, and they all suck. The HangAir I have for my wetsuits is awesome. It doesn't generate heat--it just pulls air through the wetsuit. I decided that was the way to go for drying wetgear. None of the stuff I found on the market had a small enough "thing" that went into the boot or mitten to get the job done, and they all added a small amount of heat. I decided to make my own.

So far it works great. Cost was $10 and it took about 20 minutes to make. I bought a 4-inch fan from Menard's for $8 and an end cap for 4-inch flex hose (like for drainage systems) for $2. I drilled a couple of 7/8 inch holes in the cap. I pulled off the fittings from both ends of one of my old pump hoses, then cut the hose in half. I pushed the hose end of each fitting through the holes from the inside of the cap, then pushed the hose pieces back onto the fittings. I taped the cap to the fan with vinyl tape. Done deal, and it works well. Very little noise, almost no current draw (the fan runs on a USB adapter--5 volts).

Boot Dryer reduced.jpg

It was also a nice way to make use of one of the old pump hoses I had laying around.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Re: Boot and mitten dryer

Postby bigjoe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:33 pm

I love it!! One suggestion for others or if you are looking to build another, an old computer fan would do the same and you probably have one in an old computer or could get them from America in science and surplus for under $2.
bigjoe
Kite Smurf

Return to Gear Reviews