Big Kite Or Little Kite

Gear reviewed, commented upon

Big Kite Or Little Kite

Postby Erock » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Do I get a big kite (16m or better) or a little kite (8m) for the Fall/Winter riding season? I have a 12m rrd which unzippers and depowers, in my limited opinion, to a 9m. I recall an incredible number of days last winter that teased me with 10 to 13 mph wind. I only had about 3 days last Winter to ride my 5.5m Kitewing. I now know that Big Muskego has better wind then Bass Bay but what is the norm out there in Winter? Am I better off getting an 8m to deal with the 30+ mph days that we may get this Fall or do I shoot for a 16m kite to ride this Winter on the not so heavy days?
Eric
Erock
Kite Smurf

Re: Big Kite Or Little Kite

Postby Stafford » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:51 am

Fall and spring generally are the windy seasons. This fall is abnormally calm. Winter generally is a little windier too, but the size kite you need also depends on snow conditions. For example, how sticky the snow is, the condition of your skis or snowboard matter a lot. For the most part, I can get away with a little smaller kite in the same wind on snow compared to water. However, if the snow is sticky, the temp 35 degrees, then I need a big kite again...

- Stafford
Stafford
Kite Smurf

Postby Hanson4 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 am

in the last year i road my 15m once and my 9m at least 10 times. on packed snow if its windy enough for a big kite i think your 12 would work too. i think you will add more fun riding days with a 8/9m then you will with a big kite.

mike
Hanson4
Chop Wrestler

Postby jonnyt » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:11 pm

from my experience If I were you I would sit out the 10 to 13 mph wind days and get an 8 M.. Unless you like carring a big kite back upwind when it crashes or lulls and you cant get it relaunched and it gets tangled in the weeds... I have a 16 and used it once last year becauce of those reasons..
jonnyt
Kite Smurf

Postby Erock » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:22 pm

OK, small kite it is. Ordered a 9m kite yesterday. Thanks for all the input.
Eric
Erock
Kite Smurf

Return to Gear Reviews