Sector 60--efficiency

Gear reviewed, commented upon

Sector 60--efficiency

Postby dmonn » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:31 am

Yesterday I got out for most of an hour at Pike. There were no whitecaps in sight when I got there, but it looked like it might work OK with a big kite and my Sector 60. It did. I hit a max speed of 27 mph. I think the biggest gust was about 15-17 mph. That's pretty efficient, especially for an old, beat up, patched, leaky kite like my 2006 Waroo. A poleboarder with a wind meter said the wind on the beach was blowing 8-10 mph, and 12 or so in the gusts. I think the bigger gusts were a little more than that out on the water, but just barely enough to start to create some tiny whitecaps. If my guess of the wind speed was correct, that means I went between 1.6 and 1.8 times the speed of the wind. That's starting to hit the claims made by AirRush of 2 times the speed of the wind. With a better kiter and a better kite, I'm starting to believe it'll do that. I also had no trouble staying upwind even when the wind backed off. I finally quit riding when the wind dropped to the point that I couldn't keep my kite in the air any more during the lulls, and it got all snarled up before the wind picked up enough to relaunch it.

Don
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Re: Sector 60--efficiency

Postby Derek » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:44 am

very cool. I think its time to start looking at those designs a bit more. Brian's got his board fab shop just about up and running. :)
Derek
King of the Clam Bake

Return to Gear Reviews