boots/ gloves/ hoods - you're opinion

Gear reviewed, commented upon

boots/ gloves/ hoods - you're opinion

Postby envy_16 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:34 pm

i just picked up an O'neill Psycho RG8 5/4 for the winter months of kiting in wisconsin, came with a hood. Does anyone have any thoughts about how thick of gloves/ boots i need? or if i need them at all?????
envy_16
Chop Suey
Chop Suey

Re: boots/ gloves/ hoods - you're opinion

Postby admin » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:09 pm

Yeah, you absolutely need them if you are planning on any cold water kiting. Gloves have to be precurved, boots can be up to 7mm. I have a bunch of Hyperflex stuff in my van and will most likely be at Big Muskego tomorrow if you want to try anything on.

- Stafford
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby envy_16 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:11 am

i'm heading back up to school tomorrow (la crosse) or else i would join and try out some of those boots.. but will i need boots as thick as 7mm? or will 4 or 5 suffice?
envy_16
Chop Suey
Chop Suey

Postby dmonn » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:20 pm

For boots, most guys think they want the thinnest boots they can get away with, because they get a better feel for the board. I have a different opinion, and it comes from about 30 years of either windsurfing or kiting. When my feet get cold, I can't feel anything. What I look for in a boot is something that will keep my feet warm, and that gives me a better feel for the board than if my feet are numb. I go for thick boots. I dunno about 7mm, but for sure 5mm. The other MAJOR factor is to make sure the boots (and gloves/mittens) aren't tight. If they're tight, it cuts off some of the blood flow, and makes your feet/hands turn into blocks of ice very quickly. So get 'em big, and for boots get 'em thick.

For gloves or mittens it's different. I prefer mittens to gloves. I have no trouble doing anything I need to do with the mittens on. With mittens I do just fine in super cold air/water with mittens as thin as 3mm. For mittens, thin is better. For gloves, they need to be thicker to get the same amount of warmth, but there's a trade-off. Thicker mittens/gloves will cause muscle fatigue very quickly, and it doesn't take long before you can't grip the bar any more. I've tried all kinds of precurved gloves, and never had as much success as I have with mittens. The 3-finger mitts are a compromise, but I've never tried them. I hear they work pretty well, but after wearing mittens, I really don't see the need for the separate index finger. Now if they made mitts with a separate middle finger, that could be useful!!!! :lol:

Don's Editorial
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Return to Gear Reviews