Thu Oct 6

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.
jv.
Kite Smurf
antiSpamKiter: Kiter
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Thu Oct 6

Post by jv. »

Well, initially Bonnie and I had planned on Pike Thursday afternoon with some NW wind, but forecast evolving and now looking like N to NE and wind keeps getting later. I need a wind fix, and the chilly air coming with the wind has Bonnie rethinking her plans. I am thinking it is time to try wingfoiling Atwater, probably sometime mid afternoon.

BTW: Anyone ever launched from Klode Park in Whitefish Bay behind Bayshore Mall? I thought I had windsurfed or kitesurfed every site possible over the past 20-40 years, but this spot just caught my eye for the first time…. Looks like a protected foil launch…
PowerManJ316
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Re: Thu Oct 6

Post by PowerManJ316 »

hey jv-
I would say Klode is ideal for wing surfing. I wouldn't try to launch a kite there unless no other spot worked. Steep hill from parking, small grassy space, then steep (10' drop) of sand down to water.

There are several jettys that should keep the water relatively flat in the small space between the jettys.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Just got to Klode, launch looks perfect for windfoiling, very little wind yet but hoping it kicks in soon. Direction should be good.
BritishBlokeRyan
Kite Smurf

Post by BritishBlokeRyan »

Anyone thinking SSYC today or tomorrow morning?
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

One hour on the water, one mile accomplished. Never on foil, last couple hundred yards paddling in in dead air. That truely sucked, looks like wind thinking of taunting me after dark.
MatE
Buoy
Buoy

Post by MatE »

I was thinking of checking out SSYC around 5:30 tonight
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Post by dmonn »

A little north wind in the forecast for tomorrow, so if it happens I will probably kite here in Port Washington. Saturday looks prime for Pike Lake. I will be at Pike most of the day on Saturday.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Boy, did I call that! 7pm as soon as it was definately too dark, wind turned on. Ironic, at 3:00 as I rigged Whitefish Bay was capping already with something coming through, and forecast was for a great late afternoon. But as I got out on the water, everything but the waves stopped.

Would love to join you Saturday Don, but fortunately for you I will be traveling during the day and thus will not jynx your ride…
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Post by dmonn »

I may not be able to get out today (Friday) until noon. At that point it looks like the wind will be down pretty far, and it won't work here in Port. SSYC is a maybe, but I'd hate to drive there just to not have enough wind to ride even with a big kite.

Tomorrow is still looking great for a west wind. Pike will be my choice spot for sure. I'll have the whole day, or at least as much as my body can handle. Wingfoiling for sure. Maybe add in some kiting just to rest.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Post by dmonn »

SSYC isn't cutting it right now. Bummer. I still have high hopes for Pike Lake tomorrow.
Steve271
Kite Smurf

Post by Steve271 »

Hey JV
What’s the water temp on your lake right now?
I’ve been away for a couple of weeks and list track of inland temps
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Post by dmonn »

I am sure it's cooled off since I was there, but probably not really cold yet. I will find out tomorrow!
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Little Muskego was still 66 degrees when I looked yesterday.
Steve271
Kite Smurf

Post by Steve271 »

Thanks
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Post by dmonn »

Anybody else going to join the fun at Pike Lake today?