Friday 11/12

Posts that tell us where the wind is up.
BritishBlokeRyan
Kite Smurf
antiSpamKiter: Kiter
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Friday 11/12

Post by BritishBlokeRyan »

Got a 90 minute session in at the swamp today. Wind was almost nonexistent on the ground in the car park but much better on the water.

13m was enough although slightly underpowered at times. Was practicing back rolls but kept oversteering but couldn’t quite figure out which way! If anyone has any tips on that please share!

I packed in after an hour or so due to the sleet pelting me in the face! Satisfied day altogether though

FYI: It’s getting cold
jv.
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 4

Re: Friday 11/12

Post by jv. »

My backroll tip: never try too close to shore until you master it. Landed one at SSYC years ago practically on the beach - about the time I pretty much stopped jumping with kites…. Fortunately kicked off board at last second and sort of landed running before sand-draging. I forget who I was kiting with that day (Don, was it you?) but they immediately asked If I meant to land on beach. Think I looped kite.
dmonn
Kite Smurf

Post by dmonn »

Not me, but it sounds like it was pretty entertaining to watch!
Stafford
Kite Smurf
Which one of the following things is no animal? (this is a question against spam robots); type the appropriate number: 1

Post by Stafford »

Part of the backrool thing is identifying your front hand and only putting pressure on that hand. Pulling on the back hand could loop the kite. So, once you pop off the water, even a little front hand tension only keeps the kite turning slightly down towards the water. How far you pull in your legs impacts the speed of your rotation. Straighten your legs to slow down the spin.
jv.
Kite Smurf

Post by jv. »

Look over shoulder and spot landing, esecially important if landing is not water.
Steve271
Kite Smurf

Post by Steve271 »

I echo Stafford's advice. I'm still learning, but I have learned that the source of my crashes is too much back hand pressure- easily results in a loud tomahawk or more pressure can result in a spectacular backwards kite loop crash (ask me how I know)

I've been told by a pro that a tail grab will fix that, but I suspect that will be just a different type of crash for me.